Raffles Institute for Experiential Learning
Before Raffles Leadership Institute (RLI), there was Raffles Institute for Experiential Learning (RIEL). The latter was set up in 2006 to offer programs with an experiential (and sometimes experimental) approach to complement the academic development of RI students. Programs offered under RIEL focused on:
- Local and overseas service projects through Community Advocates and International Service Learning Elective
- Outdoor environmental education through Class Camps and Ecological Literacy Program
- Leadership development through the Adventure Leadership Program (ALPS)
- Youth Expedition Program Leaders Program for educators
- Diversity Education
Leadership is a critical educational outcome that has to be
purposefully and intentionally developed.
Raffles Leadership Institute
In 2013 RIEL was renamed RLI and while most programs remain, the philosophy has changed to meet the new mission and role of the institution.
Programs now take on a more succinct leadership emphasis. We aim to level up the leadership element in all our offered programs. Students in service related programs have to realise that while they serve their communities, they are also developing their leadership abilities. Students taking the ecological literacy program now have to understand that environmental knowledge is not just for the “Greenie” but is critical for leaders in making sustainable decisions for the future.
Those who are already strong in leadership qualities need to know that service to community is the highest act of humility and that environmental literacy is critical in helping to create a sustainable future for the world.
Our approach to leadership development is guided by the following principles:
- Leadership is a critical educational outcome that has to be purposefully and intentionally developed.
- All students have the potential to be developed into leaders.
- Students have to be active practitioners of leadership and not just passive learners.
- Learning to be leaders is a long-term, developmental process.
The overarching purpose of leadership development is to equip students to contribute effectively and responsibly to society.
Our Pedagogical Approach
The RLI engages learners through real-world experiential learning. Through both direct and indirect experience of authentic situations, staff and students engage with the community and the environment to create meaningful learning opportunities.
We seek to build an environment of mutual respect that fosters personal relationships conducive to growth and leadership development, with staff and students alternating between the roles of those teaching and the taught.